Eye, Eye continued

Still in the process of recovering from my first eye operation. Vision in the eye which has had lens replacement has not fully stabilised yet although it is already vastly better than it was without correction before the operation. It is however a little sensitive and I need sunglasses to go out on reasonably sunny days such as today.

I have been alternating between using a contact lens in the eye which has not been operated on and wearing glasses with the lens opposite the other removed. The main problem, a temporary one while between operations, is that because the perspective of the two eyes is so different my ability to judge distance is shot at the moment: this afternoon I attempted to pour milk into a cup and poured it in the right direction but a few inches too close to me!

Just done a test on the first draft of this post. I can read it with either eye at a range of two feet, though the text appears significantly smaller  using the eye which has not yet been operated on and glasses. Using the eye which has had lens replacement I can also read it, the text appearing slightly blurred but not enough to significantly interfere with reading.

That represents excellent progress.

The other good news is that there has been very little sign of pain or discomfort. Have been asked to take it fairly easy for a while to avoid increasing blood pressure which would not be good for the eye or eyes which have been operated on, and living in West Cumbria it is a major pain to be unable to drive - have always known that was the case but am now experiencing it for myself. However for the reasons explained in an earlier post I will not be trying to drive again until given the all clear to do so.

Also unable to go swimming for a few weeks, which is why I timed the operation for shortly after the Swimathon, having to put lots of different drops in my eye on a regular basis to control risks of infection etc, and wear an eye shield when sleeping.

However, if at the end of this I have much better vision it would be all worth it - and given that I have now learned that I was apparently in the early stages of developing a cataract in at least one eye, the operations would have been necessary anyway to save my sight, so that is doubly true.

The experience has been a little strange and I think few people would not find the idea of having your eye operated on at least a bit frightening. But it all seems to have been very professionally handled by people who know exactly what they are doing - which is improving or saving people's sight. That is a truly awesome gift.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020