A Labour defector writes on Corbyn's refusal to meet Trump

I have little love for Donald Trump, who in 2016 became the first Republican candidate for the US presidency in my adult lifetime who caused me to conclude that, had I been a citizen of the United States, I would have had to vote Democrat.

But I do respect whoever holds the office of President of the United States of America, Britain's most important ally.

I believe it is right to invite the President of the USA to Britain to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the D-Day landings when troops from Britain, the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, and many other free countries fought side by side to liberate Europe from the most oppressive, murderous ad dangerous regime in modern history.

British and Americans soldiers, sailors and airmen fought and died side by side, with our other allies to keep the world free and save innocent people from dying in Nazi gas chambers, and that relationship is far more important to me than my opinion of the personal merits of one US president.

Ian Austin MP, who recently resigned from the Labour party over Anti-Semitism,  has written a piece here about the decision of the Labour Leader to refuse to attend a dinner with the US president/

You can read it here. He doesn't pull any punches.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020