It's a funny old world

Yesterday my old friend Iain Dale endorsed Barack Obama in the US presidential election. Today in The Sun Stephen Fry, without quite going all the way, very nearly endorses John McCain.

If you'd told me that each of those two would make supportive noises of different presidential candidates this week and asked me to guess which I'd certainly have called it wrong.

This is an extract from Stephen Fry on the US election:


I was surprised when I did a bit of filming around the New Hampshire primaries with Mitt Romney. Do you remember him? He ran against McCain for the Republican ticket. He was a nice fellow and very relaxed.

What was interesting, though, was none of the Democrats would let us film with them because they wanted complete control over everything.

Quite surprising. You’d expect the Republicans to be the uptight ones not the other way round. It did make me think about things. At one point Obama was David Beckham, Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela all rolled into one, a worldwide celebrity. I think he lost a bit of ground, though.

Like with David Cameron in Britain, people want to know what he’s actually going to do. I do like him, but the thing is he’s not as GREAT as I want him to be.

He’s a fine orator but, you know, he’s actually a bit joyless. He’s great to a large room or a big crowd but unfortunately he speaks exactly like that when he’s doing a small interview as well.

I really like McCain. Judging both of them on public image, which is dangerous, McCain looks like a far friendlier character than Obama.

I do think the McCain/Palin thing will blow up in their faces. There’s the joke figure of Sarah Palin, who is laughably dreadful, but McCain, for all his faults, is a remarkable man.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020