Postscript re modern technology

This morning I activated Microsoft Office on the third computer permitted by the license. Unlike the other two, this one is connected to the internet. So instead of using the telephone activation option, I clicked on the "activate your software over the internet (recommended.)" option.

Well, I can certainly see why it was recommended. Instead of having to key 56 numbers into my telephone and then type 42 numbers into the computer, activation took about five seconds with no further human intervention required.

Apparently they must be assuming that the majority of people have all their computers hooked up to the internet these days.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I guess its just like BT removing phone boxes. They assume everyone has a mobile phone even though even if you did you would find that coverage is far from complete here in Cumbria.
I note that you were up in arms about the Post Office closures but we haven't heard a squeak from you about BT's plans, but of course you work for BT.
Chris Whiteside said…
You are certainly right that mobile phone coverage in many parts of Cumbria is poor, but the allegation that I have said nothing about telephone box closures is nonsense.

If you look at the archive link for "June" on the bottom right you will see that I made posts on this blog on June 24th, 25th and 28th about the telephone box proposals, reporting which boxes were threatened, what had been said about it at Copeland Council, and detailing exactly how anyone with concerns could express those objections.

Of course, if you are merely refering to the fact that I declared an interest and took no part when the issue came up at Copeland Council, that is what the rules laid down by the National Code of Local Government conduct require.

It would have been entirely inappropriate for me to say anything at Copeland Council on the subject because I have a potential conflict of interest. I followed the rules to the letter, which required me to declare an interest when the subject came up and either refrain from speaking and voting or leave the room.

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020