Expressions which mean the opposite of what they say

All the following will be universally understood by any fluent English speaker to mean the exact opposite of what they say ...

"Industrial Action"

"Yeah, right."

"Any resemblance to real persons is wholly coincidental"

"With the greatest of respect ..."

"I'm not a racist / sexist / homophobe, but ..."

"No offence, but ..."

"I'm fine"

"It's nothing"

"It's not you, it's me"

"Tell me the truth" when followed by anything like "Does my bum look big in this?"

and finally, on social media

"Posted without comment" is itself a comment and will be understood as expressing disapproval.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020