What politicians say and what they mean

Michael Deacon has a great article in the Telegraph with some humorous translations of some of the phrases which politicians have already started to use in the run-up to the referendum. Here are some examples:

“My honourable friend has given an excellent speech”: He expressed opinions I already held.

“My honourable friend made his point with characteristic vigour”: I disagree with everything he said and I think he’s a shrieking nutjob.

“As a matter of principle, 16 and 17 year-olds must be given the right to vote in this referendum”: I believe that they would vote the way I want them to and thus help my side win.

“As a matter of principle, 16 and 17 year-olds must not be given the right to vote in this referendum”: I believe that they would not vote the way I want them to and thus help my side lose.

You can read the full article at

 http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/11671613/What-politicians-say-about-Europe-and-what-they-really-mean.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020