Councillor Jim Buchanan RIP

Jim Buchanan died last night. Jim was leader of Cumbria County Council until he stepped down a few days ago because of cancer.

Jim took over the leadership of the county council following the June 2009 elections, when the Conservatives became the largest group on the council but the previous Conservative group leader lost his seat.

Jim initially attempted to form an all-party administration but the political arithmetic on the current county council makes it mathematically impossible to assemble a cabinet which reflects the voting power on the council without at least one group looking under-represented. Consequently for about nine months Jim had been leading a coalition of Conservative, Labour and Independent councillors.

I know from my own experience of serving in a three-party cabinet that, although such very broad coalitions may be the least worst way to run a council where no party has overall control, keeping a multi-party administration on the road requires great gifts of patience, diplomacy, and temperament.

Jim had those gifts, and he will be a huge loss to Cumbria.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family at this time.

Rest in Peace.

Comments

Jane said…
It is with great regret, but not without forewarning that I hear of Jim Buchanan's death. I never had the honour of meeting him in person. All reports caused me to respect him as a colleague. Last year when I unsuccessfully contended the St. Bees and Egremont ward in the County elections he sent me the most appreciative letter, that it enabled me counter the disappointment of failing and give me hope for the future. That human touch was not his duty, but it made a difference on a personal level. I always hoped I would meet Cllr. Buchanan, but it was not to be. This is a large county and folks sometimes miss the people they long to connect with in person. Cllr. Buchanan, I only hope you did not suffer pain and passed peacefully. My prayers are with you and your family. May you rest in peace.

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020