Best musical parodies list number three "Weird Al" Yankovic - The Saga Begins

Up to now in my list of top parodies I have often written how many good parodies there are and how the previous items had to fight for their place on the list. 

 Not this time. 

The only question with regard to "Weird Al's" song which tells the story of "Star Wars Episode one, The Phantom Menace" from Obi-wan Kenobi's perspective to the tune of Don McLean's "American Pie" was which of the top five slots it would take. 

McLean himself praised the parody, even admitting that he sometimes almost sang Yankovic's lyrics by mistake during his own live performances of American Pie because his children played the song so often. 

It's also so popular with the Star Wars community that when I bought my family a box set of all the Star Wars films as a present we found that "The Saga Begins" video below was one of the extras.


So I'm quite clear that on the criteria I gave, "The Saga begins" is one of the three greatest musical parodies of all time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020