Best musical parodies number four: The Barron Knights parody of "Angelo"

And now we come to the top four in my list of the best musical parodies ever, with a few more honourable mentions.

The original "Spitting Image" show was very funny and they included some very amusing musical parodies which very nearly made this list. 

I can still remember puppets representing Michael Jackson, Michael Foot, Tony Benn and Leonard Nimoy conga dancing around a stage while the Michael Jackson singing "I'm Mad" to the tune of "Bad." 

Two other Spitting Image honourable mentions were even closer to making the list. One was their parody of "Agadoo" called "The Chicken song" which had lyrics like "Hold a chicken in the air, stick a deckchair up your nose" and made it to top of the pops for three weeks in 1991. 

Spitting image also had the then opposition leader Neil Kinnock and the "Red Rose Gilbert and Sullivan society" performing a version of "My mind is fully open to my awful situation" from the G&S opera "Ruddigore" which in my humble opinion was an absolute classic. 

What kept these out of my list was that I seem to be one of comparatively few people who remember them, and one of my criteria for the top parodies is that they should stand the test of time, as much of the items I did select have to a rather greater extent. 

So here is an equally funny parody of similar vintage which is rather better remembered, the Barron Knights singing "Trouble Trouble" which includes their version of "Angelo" ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020