Copeland selection result

I was re-selected this afternoon to fight the redrawn Copeland seat at the next General Election. I would like to thank all those who supported me at any stage of the process.

I'd also like to say a few positive words about the three other candidates in the primary, all of whom impressed me.

During the final stage of a parliamentary selection, the candidates spend some time in one another's company in a small room while awaiting their turn to be called to speak, or while waiting for the final reult. It's an unusual situation - in one sense you are all rivals for a position you have usually put a huge effort into trying to win, and yet you usually have many interests and values in common because they are what has led you to seek the opportunity to stand for parliament.

I have never had negative feelings about the people against whom I found myself competing for a seat, and have usually formed a very positive view of the knowledge, commitment, and ability of the other people on the Conservative candidates list whom I have met. But I was particularly impressed this afternoon with the ability and dedication of the other candidates, two of whom had also been competing for seats in other areas of the country within the past couple of days but who had still found time to do a considerable amount of research on the issues in Copeland.

I am the first Conservative in many years to have been given the opportunity to fight Copeland for more than one election - Jack Cunningham fought the seat 13 times against 13 different Conservative opponents. This means all the more to me because I was chosen in an open and transparent election against three good competitors.

I would like to wish Judith Pattinson, Thelma Matuk, and Simon Baker all the very best in finding seats to fight and in winning those constituencies. They would all make excellent members of parliament, and one day soon I hope they all will.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Many congratulations, Chris. Have just read about your selection on Iain Dale's blog and been directed here. A worthy victory, and am delighted to hear you are still fighting the good fight - hopefully from a more exalted position after the next election!
Anonymous said…
Many congratulations Christopher.
Chris Whiteside said…
Thanks to you both

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020