Millom Neighbourhood Forum

I went to the Neighbourhood Forum serving Millom and Haverigg this evening.

Apart from grant applications the main items on the agenda were

1) CLOSER TO HOME

Consultation about the future of hospitals in West, North, and East Cumbria. See separate post on my hospitals blog (link at right)

2) WHEELS TO WORK

An initiative to lend scooters to young people who need help with transport to get jobs.

One very interesting thing which came out of this - the organiser, who is very concerned about road safety, won't let anyone have a scooter to get from Millom to Barrow because he doesn't consider that section of the A595 to be safe.

I entirely agree with him - but what does this say about our local road infrastructure?

3) LOCAL TRANSPORT

There were presentations from the County officers responsible for community transport, buses and rail respectively.

The interesting thing which came out of this one was that there will be extra trains from Whitehaven to Carlisle on the Sundays in December this year. I am sure that this will be welcome news in the Whitehaven area and North Copeland. I do not mean any criticism of the officers concerned when I say that I find it ironic that I should hear this at the other end of the district - where people have been offered no such inprovement in service.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020