Another referendum?

At a dinner I attended last night there was some talk among non-political people about the possibility of a further referendum about Britain's EU membership.

I did not hear what inspired this but it may well have been the noises which the Labour party is making about the possibility of supporting a further vote.

The opinion being expressed last night is that were such a referendum to be called (which I don't think it will) there would be a larger majority for leave and because that more people who voted Remain last time would change their vote.

I don't know whether that is true of the country as a whole but it certainly fits with what I usually hear from everyone except some Labour and Lib/Dem politicians in the Northern, leave-voting constituency where I live.

Batting the problem back to the electorate is not, in my opinion, likely to achieve more than make people even angrier and more divided.

The voters have given MPs a clear steer about the direction of travel which they want. Now parliament should find a way to deliver it 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020