Suspended police chief returns to his old job as deputy

Bernard Lawson, the current acting Chief Constable of Cumbria Police, has asked Stuart Hyde, who was temporary Chief Constable when he was suspended by the former Police authority last year, to return to work in his old job as Deputy Chief constable. He will retire at the end of December.

Cumbria's Police and Crime Commissioner, Richard Rhodes, said he supported Mr Lawson's decision.

Mr Lawson has issued a statement which reads as follows:


Announcement from Temporary Chief Constable Bernard Lawson
Temporary Chief Constable for Cumbria Constabulary, Bernard Lawson, said:
“Following the publication last week of the Executive Summary into the conduct investigation and
suspension of Temporary Chief Constable, Stuart Hyde, the Constabulary has had a great
deal of information to digest and decisions to take in a relatively short space of time.
 
“This has been a difficult time for all concerned and I would like to pay tribute to the
patience and understanding shown by the Constabulary’s workforce during this time and
also to the public of Cumbria, who I know simply want us to focus on keeping the county
as safe and as free from crime as possible.
 
“On Friday, 30th August 2013, Stuart Hyde’s contract as Temporary Chief Constable
expired which meant he reverted back to Deputy Chief Constable and therefore under the
responsibility of the Office of the Chief Constable.
 
“As Chief Constable, I am held to account for the delivery of an effective and efficient
police force. The role comes with considerable legislative powers, operational
independence and the overall responsibility for the Constabulary including direct
management of all Chief Officers, including the Deputy Chief Constable.
 
“The role of Deputy Chief Constable is different and greater controls can be used by the
Chief Constable in dealing with any performance issues.
 
“Having very carefully considered the findings of the independent Executive Summary, I
have concluded that whilst Mr Hyde’s behaviour did fall short of what the police service
and the public should demand from a senior public servant, I do believe that in his role as
Deputy Chief Constable, Mr Hyde should return to work, albeit under a detailed plan to
ensure lessons are learnt from what has been identified during the investigation. Mr Hyde
has agreed that he has learnt a great deal from the experience and accepts the
recommended management advice.”
 
“Mr Hyde will have a managed return to the Constabulary on September 9th 2013 at
Carleton Hall when he will initially be responsible for a range of strategic I.T. developments
for the force, for which he is nationally recognized.”
 
“He has indicated his intention to retire with effect from December 31st 2013.”
 
He added: “Whilst much of the media and social media attention has been directed
towards Mr Hyde’s situation, it’s important for me to stress that as a Constabulary, we will
look very closely at the recommendations relating to us as an organisation. I do not believe
that the issues identified are widespread across the force as a great deal of work has
already taken place to revise policies and tighten up procedures, but clearly we will make
improvements where we need to.
 
“Cumbria has a great Constabulary with a proud reputation for excellence and I know that
with the dedication and commitment that I see every day from police officers and staff, we
will continue to strive to deliver first rate policing services for all of our communities.
Mr Graham and Mrs Skeer will return to their posts as Assistant Chief Constables on
9th September 2013. Again, I am grateful to them for their continued dedication and
invaluable support to me since I arrived at the Constabulary.”
 
Mr Hyde said: “This has been a very difficult time for me and my family. I am pleased that
this has been brought to an end by Bernard Lawson and that I can return to an important
role as Deputy Chief Constable and look forward to working with him and the officers and
staff of the Constabulary.”
 
“I am glad that a clear line has been drawn under the last 12 months and that I can
continue contributing to policing and making our society safer as I have done for nearly
30years. Although I could have retired on the 31th August after 30 years’ service I aim to
leave the Constabulary by the end of December.”
 
“I have always worked hard for the people of Cumbria and have made a significant
contribution to policing in the past and I hope, and expect, this to continue in the future. I
have learnt a great deal from this ordeal and the comments about my performance that
were reflected in the recommendations. I recognise fully the need to improve the way I
manage myself and my accountability.”
 
“I look forward to the opportunity to rebuild relationships and develop an innovative
technology strategy for the force and helping to improve policing nationally.”
 
PCC Richard Rhodes said: "I fully support the decision of Mr Lawson to invite Mr Hyde back to Cumbria Constabulary as his deputy until Mr Hyde's retirement in December.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020