Lib/Dem minister says he didn't claim God is a Lib/Dem

I had to laugh at the BBC headline

"God not a Lib/Dem says minister."

"You're telling me!" I thought.

In fact the headline is slightly unfair, and the minister concerned, Lib/Dem Steve Webb, was trying to draw a distinction between what he had said, that God is liberal and what he hadn't, that God is a Liberal Democrat.

If there really is a god, I suspect that He would not neatly fit into almost any human category, though I can think of at least one controversial issue on which He might actually be more liberal than Steve Webb, if not most of his party.

Judging by how consistently Jesus refused to go along with those who tried to condemn people because of their sexuality - once stopping a lynch mob cold with the words "Let him who has no sin throw the first stone" - I suspect some of the critics of equal marriage may be very surprised by what He has to say to them when they meet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020