Sunday music spot: "Cessate, omai cessate" by Vivaldi

Music by Antonio Vivaldi: sung by countertenor Andreas Scholl.

I understand that the words of this lament for unrequited love translate as follows:

"Cease, henceforth cease, cruel memories of despotic love; 
heartless and pitiless, you have turned my happiness into immense sorrow. 

Cease, henceforth cease to tear my breast, to pierce my soul, 
to rob my heart of peace and calm.

Wretched, injured and forsaken you are, my heart, 
if a tyrannical passion can rob you of tranquillity

because a pitiless countenance, a faithless soul, 
harbours and nurtures nothing but cruelty."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020