Alan B'Stard MP, Captain Scarlet, and Shaggy RIP

It seems to have been a bad week for the deaths of actors who created some of the most memoprable figures from earlier stages of my TV watching life (not that I was ever much of a telly addict.)

First we had the sad and sudden death of Rik Mayall, star of the Young Ones, and the incomparably nasty but brilliantly funny Alan B'Stard.

I had written a long tribute to Rik Mayall here, but to abide by my own blog rules I have sadly had to delete it unposted. I don't allow anything which could be taken as a partisan attack on a party or a group of people in obit posts on this blog, and unfortunately I can't think of a way to write what I would have liked to post without the risk that it could be misunderstood as such an attack. Rik probably would not have minded but I made the rule for a good reason and I'm going to stick to it.   Let's just say he was incredibly talented and leave it at that.

And then today I heard in seperate news bulletins during the same drive back from Glasgow first that Casey Kasem, the voice of Shaggy in the "Scooby Doo" cartoons in my childhood, dies today aged 82, and then that  Francis Matthews, the voice of Captain Scarlet in the eponymous children's scifi adventure and a regular on the Morecombe and Wise show, had also died today at 86.

Rik Mayall and Casey Kasem have gone to make the angels laugh. I don't expect that the Mysterons will bring back Francis Matthews from the dead in the way their power did for the character he voiced, but I hope that when the last trumpet sounds an even greater power will do so.

Rest in Peace. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020