Improving refuse collection in Copeland


The outgoing Labour administration on Copeland  Borough Council has been rubbish at rubbish collection for years.

They managed to make Copeland look ridiculous in the national press when they prosecuted a bus driver with four young children because his wheelie bin was four inches too full. They require octogenarian pensioners in rural areas to push their bins long distances to a collection point -and accused them of being "Tory troublemakers" when they complained.

(Actually most of them were just concerned local residents, but I think a few more of them started voting Tory after that little sally.)

It's not good enough: Copeland residents deserve better, and if elected I will try to change it.

One of my first actions if elected mayor will be to order a review of bin collection, to address fairness, cost, recycling efficiency, and frequency. If any central government help is still available in the next parliament to improve refuse collection, I will apply for it.

Returning to weekly bin collection will almost certainly require changes to the budget which will need full council agreement. I promise that if elected, within a year of becoming mayor I will put such a proposal before the council.

Comments

Jim said…
On more than this issue the Copland "not thought of here" attitude needs to be addressed.

As you know I recently moved to Allerdale, and the difference is unreal. Im not saying "Allerdale are great - they are far from it, but at least they do seem to have a pulse somewhere.

As you well know, Copland council has many many problems, and I wish you all the best in correcting them if elected.
Chris Whiteside said…
Is that the composer Aaron Copland (just kidding, sorry.)

I think you are absolutely right, the "not invented here" complacency and arrogance needs to be addressed.
Jim said…
Fair play. Yeah I really should be able to spell "Copeland" correctly after I lived there for 38 years and its written in huge letters at the top of this blog
Tony Stephenson said…
Hi Chris, you have my full backing, its been a long time 1974 that we have had to put up with a Labour Council. Lets hope you are successful and are able to bring change, its going to be hard work but you are up to it I am sure.

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020