- A new taskforce dedicated to helping those affected
- Plans to work with departments across government to gather evidence on behalf of immigrants (documentation for every year is usually expected, such as bank statements or payslips)
- A pledge that all cases will be resolved in two weeks
- All fees for new documentation (normally £229) will be waived so people are not "out of pocket"
- A new website will be set up with information and a direct contact point
I don't agree with everything else he wrote on the issue but Stephen Bush pointed out in the New Statesman that the next group of people who may hit a similar problem are the Ugandan Asians who Idi Amin expelled in the early 1970's. I hope the lessons are learned this time so that it can be handled better.