Candidate Declaration of Interest

In accordance with the policy of the Conservative party to promote greater openness and transparency, I have completed a candidate declaration of interests form.

This follows the guidelines laid down by the party in April 2010 which in turn conform to the advice from the Ministry of Justice.

My declaration reads as follows

NAME OF CANDIDATE: Christopher Whiteside
CONSTITUENCY: Copeland

A. Other Paid Jobs

I am currently employed by BT Operate, a division of British Telecommunications PLC, as a manager. If elected I would not intend to continue with paid employment with BT while also serving as an MP.

I am currently also a member of Copeland Borough Council. If elected I would continue to serve in this office for the remaining year of my council term,
but would not seek re-election to the council when my present term expires in May 2011.

If elected, I do not intend to take on any further additional employment beyond my work as an MP.


B. The holding of positions of responsibility in some types of organisations.

I do not currently hold any positions of responsibility in any voluntary or charitable organisations; trade unions; professional association/society; or any campaigning group.

I do not currently plan to take on any positions of responsibility in such groups if elected, but cannot completely rule out the possibility that I might do so, provided that the position was fully compatible with my duties as an MP.


C. Relevant Financial Interests, reported against the following sub-categories:
(i) Directorships



I have no directorships listed at Companies House and no plans to take on such positions if elected.

(ii) Clients

I have no clients.

(iii) Land and Property

I own no land or property other than my main home, and have no current plans to purchase any additional property if elected.

(iv) Shareholdings

I own no shareholding large enough to be required to be declared under Department of Justice guidelines. I have no plans to acquire such shareholdings.


D. Tax matters

I support the next Conservative Government’s requirement that anyone who sits in either house will be required by law to be a full UK tax payer.

I confirm that, for the tax year 2008/09, I have not claimed to be, or been treated as not resident, not ordinarily resident or non-domiciled in the UK for tax purposes.”


E. Any Other Interests

I am a member of the Court of Bristol University, of Senate House, Bristol, which meets once a year. I intend to continue to hold this position if elected.


I am a governor of Whitehaven School, Cleator Moor Road, Whitehaven CA28 8TY. If elected I intend to retain this position for six months and then review whether to continue further.

I am a freemason, and intend to remain a member if elected.

Additional Notes: none

Signed: Chris Whiteside
Date of declaration: 14th April 2010.

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020