Copeland labelled "most overweight" area of England

The Borough of Copeland (which is where I live) has the highest proportion of the adult population overweight or obese of any local authority area in England according to the latest data on adult obesity by local authority released by the government.

An eye-watering 75.9% of adults in Copeland have a body mass index of 25 or over compared with a heathly BMI of between 18.5 and 24.9, which is higher than any other council area - though actually the proportions overweight men and women everywhere else are worrying.

The average proportion of adults in England with a body mass index of 25 or over is nearly two-thirds: 63.8%.

Even the six local authority areas with the lowest proportions of overweight people just scrape below 50%: these are

Kensington and Chelsea (45.9%), Tower Hamlets (47.2%), Richmond upon Thames (47.6%),  Hackney (48.7%), Brighton and Hove (49.2%), and Hammersmith and Fulham (49.7%).

In other words, there are four local authority areas - the London Boroughs of Camden, Lambeth, Wandsworth, and Westminster, which manage to get into the top ten areas for having the fewest overweight people despite that proportion being over half!

Time to get down to the gym or the swimming pool, methinks.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Why is the solution always to spend money? Getting out of your car and walking a bit more will do you more good than going to the gym or baths.
Chris Whiteside said…
I don't know who said that the only solution is to spend money, but I certainly didn't.

Walking more would also help, as would paying more attention to what one eats.
Jim said…
Personally I have been accused of many things in my life, some of them were probably correct.

Though I have never been accused of being overweight before. I am a person who actually finds it very difficult to gain weight, even the dr woman says i should try to gain some, but the trouble is all these "good intentions" of people stopping obesity are causing me a problem, See all of the right stuff for me, seems to be the sinful wrong stuff from those who seem to think they know more about whats good for me than either myself or my GP do.

Its all ok, and I dont mind being advised on how its bad for me to eat certain things, or too much of certain things, thats fine i can take that advise or leave it, great.
What really winds me up is legislation and taxation on certain things that which comes from people always wanting to tell me whats good for me, as they know best. When i hear of schools confiscating orange juice from kids packed lunches because the school has a water only policy, i get rather annoyed really.
Chris Whiteside said…
We all have to take responsibility for our own health because our bodies, lifestyles, circumstances, and opportunities are all different. Health groups and even doctors can give advice but not all of it will be relevant.

Though for most of us, get more exercise, and watch what and how much we eat, would cover it.

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020