When a few words say it all ...

Sometimes a throwaway remark or a question of a few words tells you more about what's wrong with an organisation than an essay of a thousand words normally would.

This week I had an example when an officer of Copeland Borough Council asked me a question, and I thought afterwards that the fact that question was asked me this said everything you need to know about what the local Labour party are doing wrong in the way they run Copeland Council.

I had mentioned that if elected as Mayor it would be my intention to appoint an all-party executive to make use of the talents and abilities for all groups in the best interests of the people of Copeland. So that if, as now, there are three groups on CBC, I would offer places on the executive to both the other groups as well as to my own party.

I don't want to get anyone in trouble, so no names, no pack drill, but the officer asked me something along the lines of "Your party rules allow you to do that, then?"

You bet they do. In fact the Conservatives passed the Widdecombe legislation requiring many council committees to have seats for opposition groups reflecting the political composition of the council, although Tony Blair and John Prescott changed the law to exempt Council Cabinets from this requirement.

I thought afterwards, what does it say about the way Labour party rules have affected the running of Copeland Borough Council that an officer should think to ask that question?

Nothing good.

Comments

Jim said…
hmmmmmm, It does say a lot about copeland council really.
tony stephenson said…
Chris by the very fact you have stated that you will use the Talents of all Parties tells us that you have given a great deal of thought to your Campaign. It is great to hear comments like that meaning you will work with all Parties.

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020