Swimathon completed!

I completed the 5,000 metres Swimathon 2017 challenge today, swimming 200 lengths of Workington pool. In some past years it was possible to do the Swimathon at Whitehaven pool but this year they were not taking part so I went to Workington instead. The staff at Workington were very helpful indeed so no jam-eater comments please.

This was the 30th Swimathon so the commemorative medal I was given bears on the ribbon each date from 1988 to 2017. Great to have been part of this historic event, in my case this was the 24th consecutive year I have completed the 5,000 metre challenge. My fifteen-year old son John is joining me and taking part in the Swimathon too: he will be swimming
 
The Swimathon is Britain’s largest charity swim, and gives people of very varied swimming abilities an opportunity to raise money for charity by swimming distances of up to 5,000 metres.  The 2017 Swimathon event is in aid of Marie Curie, who look after thousands of  terminally ill people and provide support both to them and to their families.
 
A big thank you to those who have already sponsored me. At the time of posting these generous people have given a little over £200 for Marie Curie Cancer care. It is possible to sponsor swimmers online: If you have not yet sponsored me but would like to, and wish to use the online facility, you can do so via my giving page at JustGiving which is available here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020