Christopher Whiteside MBE is currently chairman of Whitehaven & Workington Conservatives. He writes this blog in a personal capacity. He previously stood for parliament in Copeland and Leeds NE. He has served as a County, City & District, Borough, Town and Parish councillor, and has also been a school governor and health authority member. He is currently an Egremont Town Councillor. He lives and works in the North of England, dividing his time between Cumbria and Yorkshire.
Comments
I would not exempt any statistics on any subject from that concern in the sense that it is always worth asking yourself the question,
"How confident should I be that these stats were prepared and analysed in a way which was not subject to bias?"
To that extent you have a valid point.
Personally I think the message coming from the people who produce the stats on the gender pay gap - e.g. that the gap is smaller than it has ever been but there still is one - is a story which sounds extremely plausible to me so I am inclined to believe that they are not slanting the data.
you see for every £1 a man earns in any given company, all a woman in the same company, and the same job, for the same amount of time is 100p