Jamie Murray and partner win Mixed Doubles at Wimbledon

I am trying to remember how many times in my lifetime anyone British has won a title at Wimbledon. Apparently Jeremy Bates and Jo Durie won the mixed doubles in 1987. Some dim recess of memory tells me that about ten years before that, the British No 1 Mens tennis player was a nice chap called John Lloyd who was married to the then Ladies world number 1, Chris Evert, and they won the Wimbledon mixed doubles together.

I also seem to recall that the previous occasion anyone British won a Wimbledon title, quite a few years before that, was when Virgina Wade won a doubles title towards the end of the era when it wasn't unusual for any Brits to survive the second round.

My parents, who met on the tennis court, could probably have given chapter and verse but sadly they are not around to ask.

Congratulations to Jamie and his partner Jelena Jankovic on their win: I hope it won't be another 20 years before we can celebrate another home championshop at Wimbledon.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bit late Chris but being a tennis statto myself I thought I'd let you know that John Lloyd won the mixed with Aussie Wendy Turnbull in '83 and '84.John also reashed Aussie open final in 1977 and Greg Rusedski reached the USOpen final in '97.
Chris Whiteside said…
Thanks Malcolm. Once apon a time I'd probably have remembered the precise details as my late Mum and Dad were very into tennis - as I said in the post, they actually met at a tennis club - and when they were alive we would often watch Wimbledon together on the box. Sadly tennis is one of the things which has gone by the board when my own children came along.

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020