Quote of the day 21st May 2022


 

Comments

Paul Holdsworth said…
How appropriate for the 'greased piglet', his party acolytes and his enablers!

This is from Dune, of course, a proverb of the Bene Gesserit Order, a secretive pseudo-religious organisation which uses
genetic experimentation, political interference, and religious engineering to further its own agenda.

Sounds uncannily like today's Tory party to me.
Chris Whiteside said…
I thought the quote was an amusing way to illustrate the need for flexibility in the modern world.

I did think that publishing it was risking a comeback about Britain's environmental protection standards particularly in respect of water quality on our beaches and rivers.

I must admit I was not expecting a comeback like that one.

But all credit for your erudition on SF classics - anyone who can identify the provenance of a good quote from Isaac Asimov, Arthur C Clarke, or Frank Herbert can't be all bad!
Paul Holdsworth said…
👍🏻👏🏻
Paul Holdsworth said…
Can Johnson swim?

"Last night a briefing document circulated among MPs setting out the case for why Johnson is now an electoral liability.

"The most damning line was that the booing of Johnson during the Queen’s platinum jubilee celebrations “tells us nothing the data does not” and that no social group polled says they trust the prime minister.

"Another point says the “entire purpose of the government now appears to be the sustenance of Boris Johnson as prime minister” – pointing to his personal negative ratings and saying that “defending the indefensible” is not to protect the party but one man."
Paul Holdsworth said…
Chris, has the algorithm crashed? Where's the rebuttal, the comeback, the straw man? You NEVER publish my critical comments unless and until you have a deadly, devastating reply ready to deploy.

C'mon, Chris, your readers (both of us), deserve better!
Chris Whiteside said…
What algorithm?

You seem to come up with all these strange theories about why I sometimes take a while to approve or respond to post and overlook the obvious explanation = that I am a busy person who travels round the country a lot for work and political reasons and does this blog in between other responsibilities.

So sometimes I do not have access to blogger to check what comments have come in and sign them off, or don't have time to look, or have time to release a comment but not to respond to it.
Chris Whiteside said…
As for the document which was supposedly circulating among MPs, your post was the first I had heard of it.

When I did a google search on the words you used I found a Guardian article which I presume you were quoting, as I have not seen any such document I cannot give you a meaningful response on it.
Chris Whiteside said…
As for the idea that this blog only has two readers, on a typical day it gets between 250 and 400 hits. (Defining a pageview as a hit.)

On a very bad day, the number of hits might be only a little over a hundred.

On the busiest day so far this month, there were 1,655 pageviews.

So unless you and another person are looking at fifty pages of this blog every day each, and usually rather more than that, I think I have more than two readers.

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020