To Tweet or not to tweet

Before he became prime minister David Cameron once said that "too many tweets make a twit" (or something similar).

So many people use Twitter now that I have found it an interesting means to look out for stories, indeed, for me it has overtaken Political Betting as my principle means to check what political stories people on the web are discussing.

However, the very short length allowed for the messages, and the chatty and immediate style makes it very easy for people to make a fool of themselves, especially of you don't realise what sort of audience may see what you post.

Yesterday I had an indication of how what you write may spread where you don't expect. I was tweeting about Labour's #Costacoffeecrisis, previously covered on this blog, and mentioned that my nearest Waitrose is 77 miles away. It happens to be in Hexham, so I included the fact.

I did not write anything derogatory about Hexham - I've never had a chance to stop there but from what I've seen when passing through on journeys from the West Cumbrian coat to Newcastle and back, it looks like a very attractive town - which is just as well because what I had written was retweeted in Hexham.

Just goes to show that whenever you write something on the net, including Facebook or Twitter, you have to assume the whole world might see it.

Comments

Jim said…
they are calling it a costa coffee crisis, because waitrose are offering a free cup???

like that is going to put costa out of business?
WHAT?????
I have always known labour and their people were lets just say a little out of the reality game, but really WHAT????
Still as i said earlier keeps them quiet about important things, so not all bad
Jim said…
I know, "lets ban supermarkets having their own car parks, after all its damaging to the car parks who are charging to park isn;t it"

whilst that was a sarcastic comment aimed at the labour party, sadly i do think i may have given them an idea :(
Chris Whiteside said…
I should perhaps explain that the hashtag #costacoffeecrisis was coined by people taking the mick out of he Labour party over this, but apart from that you are 100% dead right.

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020