Work is the best route out of poverty, and we want to help people into work, so they have the security of a regular pay packet and can provide for their children. Labour won’t allow the country to move on from Brexit and their dangerous plans would wreck the economy – meaning higher taxes, more debt and fewer jobs.
- More children than ever before are living in a working home. More children than ever before are now living in a household with a working adult, as the proportion of children in a home with at least one adult in work is 91 per cent.
- The number of children in households with all adults in work has increased by 262,000 in the last year, to 7.7 million – a rise of 1.7 million since 2010.
- The number of children in workless households is at a record low. Fewer than 1 in 11 children now live in a workless household, a record low.
- The number of children in workless households is down 760,000 since 2010 – a drop of almost 40 per cent – and a record low.
- The number of children living in households where all members had never worked, decreased by 58,000 over the year to 172,000.
- There are more working households than ever before. There are 12.5 million households in which all people are working, up over 1.5 million since 2010, a record high.
- This means there are 23.1 million people aged 16 to 64 in working households, up 1.1 percentage points over the year – to a new record high.
Under the Conservatives an average of 1,000 people have gone into work every day, supporting people to take control of their lives and build themselves a better future. We’ve seen over 3.7 million more people get the security of bringing home a regular pay packet.
The unemployment rate is at its lowest in 45 years.