Out Campaigning today

Copeland Conservatives have been out campaigning today in various parts of the constituency including Cleator Moor and Frizington.

There will not be any "no-go" areas and we are trying to get round as much of this huge constituency as possible.

Generally friendly reception, and we appear to be getting a fair bit of support, at least for this election, from people who are not naturally Conservative supporters. But we are not taking anything for granted - still everything to play for and no room for complacency.

One doorstep brought back recollections of an amusing incident in Cleator Moor during the 2017 by-election. Trudy and the team were approaching a house I recognised, with a couple of dogs barking at us from the window, and I said 

"Oh, yes, that's the dog who pulled my folder through the letterbox."

This had happened back in the 2017 by-election in which Trudy Harrison was first elected MP for Copeland. Hearing the noise of barking, I had used my folder to push a calling card through the letterbox to avoid exposing my fingers to the risk of getting bitten. Unfortunately the dog grabbed the folder, gave a tremendous heave and pulled it inside.

I came back a couple of hours later, to be met at the door by the homeowner with my folder in his hand and a big grin on his face. We took one look at each other and both fell about laughing. 

Back to today; I had scarcely started to mention this to the team when the homeowner appeared at the window, recognised me, and pointed to his dog with a smile. We exchanged a thumbs-up sign. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020