Lockdown diary, day 25

Captain Tom Moore has now raised more than £20 million for NHS charities, thanks to his own inspirational efforts and the generosity of the hundreds of thousands of people who have given money via his JustGiving page.

The government has set up a Vaccine Taskforce which will be led by Chief Scientific Adviser Sir Patrick Vallance and Deputy Chief Medical Officer Professor Jonathan van Tam, to support efforts to rapidly develop a coronavirus vaccine as soon as possible by providing industry and research institutions with the resources and support needed.

Other work for the taskforce will include making sure Britain's laws and regulations can cope with testing vaccines at speed in a safe way and making sure manufacturers are prepared to but whatever is produced into pass production.

Initially it will receive government funding from a £14m pot to rapidly progress treatments and vaccines, but the government has promised to make up to £250 million available to develop a vaccine.

For some reason lots of people seem to be sharing pictures on social media of themselves aged twenty. I don't think I have one.

There is a picture of me aged about eighteen in my cousin's garden, a few group pictures of myself and other church choir members in cassock and surplice in my late teens, and somewhere I suspect I may have kept a copy of the A3 poster which I used when I successfully stood for Treasurer of the Union at the University of Bristol at the age of 22. I do have my graduation photographs, the one for my B.Sc. degree taken a few months after the picture on my election poster for Union Treasurer.

I suspect Twitter will manage without them.

Keep well

Stay home: support the NHS: save lives.

Comments

Jim said…
Oh look.

The govenment have Made a U Turn

WELL DONE GOVERNMENT, its so refereshing to see poiticians do something about it when its clear they made a complete cock up.
Jim said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim said…
Yes contact tracing is certainly a very important part of the exit stategy, though I do have concerns that this is not to be undertaken at the local level, by local councils and volunteers. I think an over realiance on apps, administerd at the national level wont end well.

Some of the technical problems are discussed in this article from new scientist

Though, the most vunerable people, generally being the elderly are not always happy using apps and tech, the other reason, and one that gets me. Im not so sure I will be in the queue to sign up for an app that allows the government to track my every move. Im pretty sure in that regard I am not alone
Anonymous said…
Jim - the government can already track your every move if you carry a phone.
Chris Whiteside said…
Every government dealing with this has made mistakes.

Every government needs to be prepared to change policy when the evidence shows that this is necessary.

I hope and expect that this will not be the last U-turn because there will be further instances - and I do not pretend to know which they will be - when the evidence shows that policies which had up to that point seemed sensible are actually wrong.
Anonymous said…
and yet policies are always announced with a confidence that suggests any questioning of them is irrational, partisan or just plain wrong. Will it be any different if and when Rupert's coup to put Michael Gove on the people's throne is successful? Probably not but it's fun watching.
Chris Whiteside said…
I won't pretend that nobody in the present UK government, or any other government for that matter, ever falls into the trap of treating any questioning of a policy as hostile or irrational.

On the other hand your reference to "Rupert's coup" demonstrates that you yourself think that some of what has been written by some journalists really is designed to cause "regime change."

I've not been impressed by the standards of journalism, with a few honourable exceptions, during this crisis. Too many hacks are acting as if they think it's about them.

It isn't and it's not primarily about the government either. It's about how we get through this with, first, as few premature deaths as possible and second, how we minimise the number of people who lose their job, their business, or their home.

Anonymous said…
At least with the Maybot grown-up were in the room
Chris Whiteside said…
Sorry, but one of my top criteria for identifying someone who acts like a grown-up is that they take responsibility for their actions.

And one example of taking responsibility for your actions is that unless there is a damn good reason - and "I don't want Chris to be able to go back and compare what I wrote this week with what I wrote or did previously and see if it's consistent" doesn't count - people who act like a grown-up usually sign their name, or at least a consistent pen-name, to things they publish.

Start taking responsibility for the things you post by telling us who you are and I might consider that you are better placed to judge who is a grown-up.

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020