Lockdown diary, day 57

I did something rash today and metaphorically kicked a hornets' nest which I usually leave alone.

Twitter can be a bear pit at the rest of times and there are some battles not worth fighting even more so on twitter than on Facebook or here.

There are a lot of opinions, particularly among those particularly pro or particularly anti Brexit which you will just not shift the opinions of some people on, and one of them is their attitude to Boris Johnson.

But I rashly could not resist pointing out to someone who is clearly not a huge fan of the PM that that ere is a cognitive dissonance involved in saying how much Colonel Tom Moore deserved his knighthood and at the same time criticising the prime minister for recommending to the Queen that he should get one. (Specifically, they questioned his motives.)

I should have remembered my quote of the day from yesterday:

 




And the same is equally true of trying to use logic to someone whose views are based on the axiom that their side of any particular argument is morally superior.

Funnily enough, I think today is the first time I have ever been called a Boris Johnson fan, which is actually quite surprising.

Keep well.

Comments

Jim said…
I never did like twitter, I always found its word limit counter productive. A few in the Leave Alliance were pushing twitter hard but I always found it inevitably leads to just a slagging match that leads nowhere.

I have seen people going from holding Boris as some sort of national hero less than a month ago, to calling him everything under the sun since anouncing the plan to send some school kids back in June.

What ever anyone thinks of him, its absolutely certain that he is a divisive figure. There are people that will bend over backwards to state how he is wrong, regardless of the topic.

Chris Whiteside said…
It's impossible to completely ignore Twitter if you are interested in politics because nearly all politicians and political journalists use it, but I try to limit my time on it for the sake of my sanity.

Yes, Boris is a divisive figure, but when people are managing to slag him off (via the old trick of "but I question his motives") for doing something they agree with one has to conclude that not all the divisiveness is coming from him.

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020