Helping people remember us when we are gone.

I don't listen to it very often, because I don't have to. But one of the most precious things I have left by which to remember my late mother is the recording of a chapter of "Harold and Bella, Jammy and me" which she made for Hertfordshire county council - because it is the only remaining record of her voice.

I have considered the possibility of making some form of recording for my children which they will have of me when I am no longer here, and this moving article by Jonathan Freedland has convinced me that I should do so, and probably sooner rather than later and get my wife to do so too.

He describes in the article how his sister Fiona, who had been diagnosed with bowel cancer at the age of 45 and knew, five years later, that she did not have long to live, asked him to help her make a "Desert Island Discs" recording for her loved ones to remember her by.

His sister must have been a fantastic person, and although it is terribly cruel that someone who was obviously so brave and compassionate should be taken from her family at the age of about 50, the article was for me a story of the victory of love over death, because Fiona thought of her loved ones and not only herself while dying of cancer, and found a way to be there for them after she died.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020