O Tempora! O Mores!

Like many people I am still a bit in shock about the passing of Her Majesty: I understand it intellectually but part of me cannot really start to grieve because it cannot understand that a towering figure who has had such a central place in our country's life for my entire life has finally gone.

I was at a social event this evening which included both the Loyal Toast and the singing of the national anthem for the first time I had experienced either since yesterday. And therefore the first time I or almost anyone else present had voiced them in the now appropriate form. which is different from the way we have all experienced them for the whole of my previous experience but which, barring quite extraordinary events, will be used for the rest of my life (and probably the rest of my children's lives.)

One friend asked me if I had been practicing "God save our gracious King."

I replied that I didn't think anyone would get it wrong tonight, but I would wager that just about every single one of us will make the slip of falling back into the old words at some point in the next couple of years.

I was right this evening but stand by the rest of my prediction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020