When life puts your problems into perspective

This morning after dropping my wife off at the hospital where she works and driving to my own office, I encountered some very frustrating traffic issues, something which is hardly unusual for me, but after a very stressful week it was perhaps the penultimate straw and I got quite upset.

I made it to the office safely, and a colleague asked how I was feeling, and I admitted to being rather stressed.

Then I turned on my email and found something which put all my problems into perspective.

At the end of November I met an old friend at a social function. This is someone who went to the same school, and who served on St Albans Council at the same time as I did - and being in different parties never stopped us being friends.

He told me that his mother was receiving end-of-life care. And when  I opened my email this morning I found that she had died yesterday.

There is perhaps nothing in this life as difficult to deal with as the death of a beloved relative and it certainly put my own problems in perspective. I sent Alastair a note of condolences and resolved not to let comparatively trivial things upset me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020