Thursday, September 08, 2016

Government sets money aside for flood defences

The government has allocated £12.5 million of taxpayers' money to temporary flood defences following a  National Flood Resilience Review.

That review was set up following last winter's floods which caused dire problems for many people here in Cumbria and in many other parts of the north. In some places flood defences did not work, forcing thousands of people from their homes over Christmas. Some have still not been able to return.

The long-awaited report outlines £12.5 million for temporary defences such as barriers and high-volume water pumps. It includes commitments from utilities to increase protection of key local infrastructure such as phone networks and water treatment works.
It also sets out a new stress test of the risk of flooding from rivers and seas around England.
Met Office forecasts of extreme rainfall scenarios will be linked with Environment Agency modelling for the first time to assess flood risk.

The £12.5 million will see temporary defences held at seven strategic locations around the country, and will mean that by next winter the Environment Agency will have four times more temporary barriers than last year.

The Government also said it would use the evidence of the review to plan investment in flood defences after 2021. It has already committed £2.5 billion of taxpayers' money between 2015 and 2021 to strengthen flood and coastal defences, as well as spending £1 billion on maintaining defences, officials said.

More details on the News and Star website here.

No comments: