Copeland mayor Mike Starkie joins the Conservatives

I welcome the news that the Mayor of Copeland, Mike Starkie, has joined the Conservatives.


He believes the party are the best equipped to help him achieve the ambitions he has for the borough. Mike Starkie, who has been mayor for the past five years, said many of the changes made by the council during his time have had really positive effects for residents, but going forward he would be able to help achieve even more under the Conservatives. He said:

“I now have less than three years left in office and there is still so much we need to do as the change is going to be continuous."

“I have decided the best chance of me achieving the vast ambitions I have for Copeland will be enhanced by now joining the Conservative Party.

“I am a committed Brexiteer and I believe the levelling up agenda that the government was elected on represents the best opportunity for progress in the north, in Cumbria and in particular Copeland for decades.

“The government’s devolution programme which I fully support will further remove inefficiency and bureaucracy that has held Cumbria back for years and indeed accelerate the still significant modernisation of local government that is still needed.

“Working closer within structure of a party who’s manifesto I have bought into and who will be in government in my opinion for at least a decade and way beyond my time of active involvement strengthens my position in representing Copeland and achieving the goals I set out in my own manifesto for Copeland last year which remains unchanged.

“What also remains unchanged is my desire to continue working in cooperation with councillors of all political persuasions in the best interests of the people of Copeland.”

Trudy Harrison MP said:

“It really does go without saying that I am so pleased to welcome Copeland mayor Mike Starkie, who has joined the Conservatives after being an Independent.

“I’ve known Mike for many years, he’s always had the best interests of the people of Copeland at heart. We’ve worked together on many projects and local priorities and will do so even more effectively without the barrier of political divide.

“I’m delighted that Mike has joined the Conservatives and I am looking forward to working with him to push for more growth, jobs and investment across the constituency and indeed throughout Cumbria. The Conservative government and our PM, Boris Johnson is committed to levelling up the north, we will be ensuring Copeland benefits from this enhanced partnership.”

Comments

Gary Bullivant said…
I put this announcement on a par with the one that recently announced the merging of DFID with the FCO. Both are equally positive steps in terms of honesty and transparency, bringing into the open something many have suspected from day one.

I wonder if the non-Conservatives on the Copeland Executive team will be as understanding as I am though?

"The Executive councillors have all agreed to form a politically co-operative group.

Mayor Starkie said: “I am pleased that Labour, Conservatives and the independents have formed a co-operation agreement to work with me to deliver the best possible service for the residents of Copeland.”

“Councillors Moore, McVeigh, Everett and Morgan bring with them a range of expertise and huge amounts of experience. I look forward to working with them all make this borough thrive."

https://www.copeland.gov.uk/node/42978
Jim said…
I cant see why an elected person would be better off in anyparty than as an independent.
Anonymous said…
An independent mayor of Copeland who wanted to be mayor of Cumbria would join the Tories.
Jim said…
In regards to winning another election, in an area where most people vote for the rosette not the person then I can see it. But I cant see how joining a party would help someone who has already been elected.
Chris Whiteside said…
Jim,

First of all, no party own the people who generally share its' opinions or vote for it, so anyone who wants to stand as an independent has the democratic right to do so.

However, I personally think it is better to nail one's colours to the mast and be up front about one's politics, whether it helps you or not.

Secondly, politics is a team activity. This is the answer to Jim's question - no matter how brilliant you are, you will not get anything done in politics unless you can work with others who are not obliged to work with you, and the reason that some people achieved far less in politics than their abilities should have made possible - I think for example of the Duke of Wellington who reached the top in both the military and political spheres but was far more successful as a Commander-In-Chief than he was as Prime Minister - was not being good at this.

Being in a political party which instantly provides you with a team for the team activity does not miraculously solve this, but in my experience it usually helps.

Most successful independents in local government either end up joining the political party they most often find themselves working with, or end up working so closely with them that they might as well do.

Anonymous said…
Worked twice in Copeland where McGrath played a dummy hand but this next one's Cumbria wide and they won't play along.
Chris Whiteside said…
By the way, although I hope there will be a Major of Cumbria, nothing is settled yet, and having had to deal with the present cabinet at County Hall on the subject, Mike knows better than most that there is many a slip between that particular cup and the lip.

It could happen but I think he is far too astute to bet his shirt on it.
Anonymous said…
Nah, he's put his shirt on there being a new mayor but if not he's hedging his bet.
Gary Bullivant said…
Can we assume that the county Conservative Party has just started canvassing for members interested in standing should there be a mayoral election next year?
Chris Whiteside said…
No you can't.

We won't start doing that until and unless there is a post to encourage people to put their names forward for.
Gary Bullivant said…
"Mr Starkie [currently a Conservative Party member, elected Mayor of Copeland and who] believes that a deal could even be completed in time for a new mayor for Cumbria to be elected next May" clearly didn't need corporate encouragement.

https://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/18534460.devolution-discussed-government-cumbrias-council-leaders/
Mary Connor said…
I'm unhappy as a recent Conservative voter, make no mistake I'm not a fan of Boris by any means I only wanted the quickest way to get Brexit off the agenda. I haven't been particularly happy with a lot of Conservative stances since the election, the pandemic response has been terrible in many respects. I think we're lacking credibility because of a lack of experience, why on earth didn't you stand as an MP in 2017. You make more comments and have more public engagement than the MP. It's all about populism and voter manipulation, Starkie only stood as independent to get elected, that's not loyal to the party but himself, he's only standing as Tory to preserve his own career. If you stand as a candidate I'll vote for you, you've been loyal to your party. If he stand's no, I don't rust his motives.
Chris Whiteside said…
Thanks, Mary, for your kind comments about myself.

I did put myself forward to stand in both 2017 and 2019 but was not successful.

That's all I will say about it because anything else would sound like sour grapes.

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020