Another big freeze

Watch out for ice and snow if you are out and about in many parts of Cumbria or Northern England today.

There is a thick blanket of frost on the ground today in Whitehaven and I note that in many areas of Cumbria such as Keswick, the temperature is not forecast to rise above approximately zero degrees centigrade - e.g. freezing point - during the course of today.


POSTSCRIPT 1.45 PM

Very rare weather conditions this lunch time in Whitehaven - and I'm talking two or three times in a lifetime rare - with the combination of bright sunshine and significant amounts of snow.

The only previous time I can recall seeing such a thing was about thirty-six years ago while I was taking a history O-level paper and could see out of the window as bright subshine illuminated snow being blown around Verulamium Park and the Orchard at St Albans School.


Comments

Jim said…
One that i will never forget happened when I was going to work in the Falklands (worked at transmitters 12 miles from MPA main base.)

Driving on Stanley Road, in bright (amd I mean bright) sunshine, in heavy (and I mean heavy) snow, that even though you are doing 40-50 MPH is actually moving AWAY from your wind screen.

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020