Sunday music spot: George Macfarren, overture to "She Stoops to Conquer"

This is the last in my series of Music spots devoted to British born composers who were composing between the death of Henry Purcell in 1695 and the rise of Elgar which I count as being from the publication date of his first published composition, which was 1899.

Sir George Alexander Macfarren was born in London on 2 March 1813.

His overture "Chevy Chace" was performed on 26 October 1843 by the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra conducted by Felix Mendelssohn.

Mendelssohn had heard it performed in London and wrote to the composer that he "liked it very much". After the Leipzig concert Mendelssohn wrote again to say "Your overture went very well, and was most cordially and unanimously received by the public, the orchestra playing it with true delight and enthusiasm".

Richard Wagner also admired the peculiar and wildly passionate character of the piece.

Macfarren was knighted in 1883.

Here is his overture to "She stoops to conquer"


I have been putting up this series of posts with music by British-born composers working between 1695 and 1889 because two weeks ago I read a post by a lady called Melissa Chen who suggested that Britain produced few native born composers between the death of Henry Purcell and the rise of Elgar.

She described the output of music by native born Bits in that period as "almost nothing."

Now, quite a few of my favourite composers are native born Brits who were composing during that period, and if anyone can write something like that, they clearly deserve to be better known.

So I decided that every day for at least a fortnight I would post a piece by a British born composer who was working between 1695 and 1889.

I've done so, this is the last post in the series and for reference here is a blog post with a link to each of the preceding ones.


(NB - Samuel Wesley was the father of Samuel Sebastian Wesley who wrote  the second item)


And this post is number 16),   George Macfarren's overture to "She Stoops to Conquer"

Sixteen pieces from fifteen British-born composers. Seven of the composers listed above were knighted for services to music (as was CV Stanford, see below. Another became an earl, but that title was inherited!)

Also in the past fortnight, if by "British born" you mean born in the British Isles, or born in a place which was part of the the United Kingdom at the time, I have also posted the Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis in B Flat by the Irish composer Sir Charles Villiers Stanford.


Comments

Chris Whiteside said…
I have also been tweeting these. Can anyone spot which one I forgot to tweet?

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020