Congratulations to Andy Murray, Charlotte Dujardin and Sophie Hitchon

With a full day's work to do today starting with an early call, I had to retire to bed before the finish of Andy Murray's thrilling Olympic Men's singles final. I was hoping to manage not to find out the result before I could watch the rest on iPlayer this evening but could not find a big enough rock to hide under while simultaneously getting on with my job. Never mind

But what a result for Andy, for Scotland and for Team GB as he become the first man ever to successfully defend an Olympic Tennis singles title, and took Team GB's haul of Gold Medals in one day to FIVE at the conclusion of what has become known as Sensational Sunday.

Murray said the final was one of the toughest he had played in and from what I have so far seen of it the hype about this win possibly being his greatest achievement may well be justified.

Credit where credit is due, his opponent Juan Martin Del Potro had already beaten on his way to that final two players who are not just two of the four best in the world today but two of the best of all time, and he really made Andy Murray work for that Gold Medal. Which of course makes it all the sweeter.

Del Potro beat world number one Novak Djokovic in the first round despite being stuck in a lift for 40 minutes before the match. The 2009 US Open champion and London 2012 bronze medallist then defeated 2008 champion Rafael Nadal in an epic three-hour semi-final a day before facing Murray.

"I left the last of my toenails on the court," said Del Potro. "I was tremendously tired. It was the crowd that made me keep running."

He added: "When I look at my medal I'm so happy for that, but I've just lost a great final against Andy and I was close to the gold medal.

"He played better in the important moments and is a great champion"

Also successfully defending an Olympic title was Charlotte Dujardin who won gold in the dressage and thereby became the first British woman to retain an individual gold medal at any Olympic Games.

Sophie Hitchon won the bronze in the women's throw, which I believe is the first time a British player has ever won a medal in this event and also set a new British record of 74.54m, as Poland's Anita Wlodarczyk sets a new world record of 82.29m to win gold.

You can watch the athletics here, and full coverage of day 10 here.

Congratulations to all the competitors taking part in what has been a truly fantastic Olympic games.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020