Coronavirus diary: A weekend of unending domestic upheaval

At the introduction to live performances of the Flanders and Swann song "The Gas man Cometh," Michael Flanders would describe the song as

"A ballad of an unending domestic upheaval,"

and add

"I'm sure you've all had something of the same experience."

My weekend has been a little too close to the chapter of accidents described in the song (depicted in lego in the clip below to the accompaniment of a recording of the song performed by the original artists.) It began when I was composing last night's blog posts and knocked over a cup of tea, most of which drained onto my keyboard, After attempting to finish them using the mouse to copy and paste words, letters, and segments in between, I decided I'd better buy another keyboard.

That shopping trip was one of a number over the weekend to support local retail  businesses in my division and in Whitehaven which were the first I and my wife had made since masks have been compulsory (not the first at which we've worn them as we started doing so as soon as the government said they thought it would improve safety.)

Nobody seemed to have a problem with wearing masks. All the shops were taking precautions to minimise the risk of Coronavirus transmission.

There was a further cycle of accidents as I fixed each successive problem with my computer - something else would go wrong.

I was determined not to go in a complete circle as the story in the song does by knocking another container of tea over the new keyboard, so I put it my mug as far away from the keyboard as possible - too far away, where on the edge of the desk it was too vulnerable to being knocked over by someone looking under the desk to retrieve parts of the item dragged behind the desk by its wires and completing the full circle by losing the mug which was sent on a "Swann" dive to the floor and did not survive the experience.

Oh well. At least things are all working now and nobody was hurt. Keyboards, audio speakers, documents and mugs can be replaced.




Keep Well,


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020