Lockdown diary - day 53

This is a rewrite from memory of the diary post I wrote for Saturday 16th May, which disappeared shortly after I posted it - if it ever appeared.

Today was my first visit to a Household refuse site for about two months, as all of them were closed from the start of the lockdown until Tuesday.

Very glad to have the opportunity to make such a visit - the recycling centres at supermarkets in this part of the world are still closed, one can only fit so much in a wheelie bin, and although I have been putting out as much recycling as I dare (and to be fair to Copeland BC's bin men and women, they have been taking it) the build up of things we need to get rid of has reached the point where it was becoming a fire hazard and trip hazard.

About ten vehicle in the queue when I arrived and a wait of perhaps 20 minutes. I gather it was much worse earlier in the week - one of the staff told me that on Tuesday when the centres re-opened there were already people queuing before he got there and the average wait was 2-3 hours.

I thought the site was being very efficiently managed with effective social distancing and other safety measures, but of course that meant throughput was much slower than normal

Still great to have the service open again.

Keep well


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020