Quote of the day 9th May 2020

I don't often post the same thing twice within 24 hours.

But there is only one possible choice for a quote for today: the morning after hearing Her Majesty's broadcast, I am even more in awe of the speech she delivered last night than I was when I heard the following words:

"Our streets are not empty: they are filled with the love and the care that we have for each other.

And when I look at our country today and I see what we are willing to do to protect and support one another, I say with pride that w are still a nation that those brave soldiers, sailors and airman would recognise and admire."


As I wrote last night I do not think there is another living human being who could have taken the story of the terrible crisis which ended seventy five years ago and so brilliantly framed it so brilliantly as a message of hope to get us through the present crisis.

Nor is there another living human being with the moral authority, which she has as a member of the wartime generation and a veteran who actually served during World War II, who has delivered a lifetime of service at the heart of British society, to deliver the message that the men and women who served in that war would recognise and admire the nation which is Britain today, a nation which survives because of their sacrifice.

God save the Queen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020