Thursday, October 08, 2015

Quote of the Day 8th October 2015

"When England were doing really well in a World Cup, they were due to play France and I thought I just couldn't bear to watch this English victory in an English pub with Englishmen who would be gloating at the end.

So I got on a train and went to the first bar I came to in France to watch it there.

England duly won and all these Frenchmen stood up and formed a line to shake my hand in congratulation. I'd been mistaken for an English rugby supporter. How bad can it get?

What is the French for: 'No. No. I wanted France to win. I'm not English'?"

(Stephen Evans, the BBC's "From our Own Correspondent" slot, from the viewpoint of a Welshman who likes the English most of the time but says "I can never support England on the sports field.")

2 comments:

Jim said...

Non, je voulais France pour gagner. Je ne suis pas anglais

But then there was not an Englishman to help you at the time :)

Jim said...

^ well ok then, you did not have a smartphone with "google" translate is the more honest answer, but you know, could not help it.