Listen very carefully: I will say this only once

Today has been a bad day for double standards on both sides of the divide in British politics.

One one side people who have been defending mobs pulling down statues, protests which break rules designed to protect public health, and preventing the distribution of newspapers appear to have had a damascene conversion to the idea that rules and laws are a good thing.

On the other side, people who had been condemning the actions above now apparently think it is OK to break international law "in a limited and specific way."

I can't go along with either of those positions.

It is very rare indeed that I publicly disagree with the government but I cannot support Britain breaking international law even in the most limited and specific way and I hope that they will reconsider the announcement made today on the subject and will be urging them to do so.


The Chairman of the Foreign Affairs Select Committee, Tom Tugendhat, had this to say:


I agree with Tom.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020